Friday 27 February 2015

As I near dear Avonlea...

Time has gone by so quickly, just as I expected.

This week has been one full of many delightful memories shared with dear friends and loved ones. I saw Halifax in a whole new light through the eyes of Emmeline. It was so refreshing to be in the company of her throughout the week, and it sparked quite a number of new ideas for my latest novel. Gilbert settled in nicely in his boarding house, though I daresay some of his roommates may prove to be a challenge to live with. I hope I'm wrong, for his sake!

We enjoyed the time spent together immensely. I feel that we really learned more about one another as we spent nearly the entirety of our week in each other's company. Indeed, this was a very tiny glimpse of what married life may be like for us!

It was rather difficult saying goodbye as the week drew to a close. The look of sheer sadness in my Gilbert's eyes as we embraced before our parting was almost too much. I think some of Marilla's practicality has rubbed off on me lately. Yes, I was quite sad to leave Gil, but I'm not in such utter despair as he seems to be. I feel almost a tinge of guilt over this fact, but perhaps it's just the winter blues getting the best of me. We will see one another soon enough, surely.

We came into Charlottetown about twenty-five minutes ago, which means we should be arriving at Bright River anytime now. Much of the snow has melted, which is most welcoming to my eyes! Winter is delightful, but after a few months of it a person certainly does long for spring. I'm ever so exhausted tonight from my travels, but I'm sure I'll have much to write about in my next journal after catching up with Rachel Lynde on all of the Avonlea happenings of the past week.

Until then,

Anne Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment