Friday 20 February 2015

Haligonian Adventures

This week I will be embarking on a journey to Halifax with my soon-to-be husband, Gilbert Blythe. He must return to Dalhousie to finish off this year of medical school. Although I am quite disappointed we won't see one another often, I am so very blessed to know he is alive and thriving, anywhere, whether Halifax or Avonlea, after such a disheartening case of scarlet fever last summer. 

We arrived in Halifax early in the evening, after a very long day of travelling by train and ferry. Although the train ride was wretched with its bumps and rattling, I always very much enjoy seeing the beautiful flashes of scenery outside the window - it makes the all of the dreadfulness of the ride worth it! I still believe that Prince Edward Island is truly the most delightful, picturesque spot in all of Canada.

I will be staying here in Halifax for a week with my good friends, the Harris family, while Gil settles into his boarding house. I have still been corresponding by letter with Pauline and Emmeline quite frequently, and it's simply been lovely to catch up with them in person. They were ecstatic when they heard I would be in Halifax and insisted that I come and stay with them. Emmeline has grown up so quickly, she's practically a young woman now, and Pauline is getting along with her mother, Mrs. Harris, much better these days. Mr. Harris has gone to Boston for business. He has seldom replied to my letters, and when he does his responses are extremely vague. I can't say I blame him, although I've tried to remain friends as I promised I would. It just all seems rather hopeless to me at this point, so I'm sure it's for only the best that he is out of town while I'm staying here.

Gil and I had a splendid afternoon taking in all of the sights. It was lovely to stroll along the harbour's boardwalk and see all of the many different faces walking about - we even ate some ice cream as we sat at a table on the wharf and saw a band of street performers. What a treat that was! 

I believe this trip was just what I needed to whet my literary appetite. Captivating happenings such as street performances simply do not happen in Avonlea... Even so... I wouldn't trade my serene evening walks through the Birch Path and Lover's Lane for anything. Yes, if I were to live in Avonlea until my dying days, it would be a life full of wondrously inspiring days, I'm certain.

My, I just looked at the time and it appears that I've spent the whole night writing away. Time slips away so fast, with each passing day it seems to go even quicker. I'd best resign for the night, as I've promised Emmeline she may take me around to her favourite spots in the city tomorrow. I anticipate the exciting adventures that await me here this week. At the same time, I can hardly wait to return home to Marilla and Rachel, and be an aid to Diana with her dearest baby Fred.

Until next time, dear journal...
I remain respectively yours,

Anne Shirley




No comments:

Post a Comment